Verizon router blinking white light is something you probably see during the router’s boot-up. But when the white light blinks even after the router has successfully booted, I think it’s time to listen to the chap as it’s trying to tell you something.
Verizon Router Blinking White
Before we understand why the “Verizon router blinking white” is a problem. Let’s know the white light and what it represents.
A Verizon router typically displays a blinking white light during its boot-up process or when undergoing self-diagnostic tests.
Additionally, using the app to trigger a reboot can also result in this blinking light.
However, a solid white light will be displayed once the router has successfully booted up and established a Wi-Fi signal. This is the desired state for optimal connectivity. What does the Verizon router blinking white mean?
The blinking white light on the Verizon router could be due to different reasons, with boot-up problems, and power outages being the primary cause of the Verizon router blinking white.
Why is my Verizon router blinking white?
Now that we know that it does not mean any good, let’s get familiar with the router’s language and understand what the Verizon router blinking white symbolizes.
There could be various reasons behind a Verizon router displaying a white blinking light.
However, the most prevalent cause is when the router is unplugged and then plugged back in, which results in a reset and subsequent boot-up process.
Let’s go through all the reasons.
- Bad connection: A loose or faulty connection between the router and modem, or between the modem and the wall jack, can cause intermittent blinking.
- Interference from other devices: If other electronic devices in the vicinity are using the same wireless frequency as the router, it can lead to interference and cause the light to blink.
- Power outage: A power outage can cause the router to reset and require booting up, resulting in a white blinking light.
- Firmware update in progress: If a firmware update is in progress, the light may blink as the router installs the update.
- Problem with the router: A malfunctioning or defective router can cause a white blinking light, among other issues.
- Defective LED: Sometimes everything is working perfectly yet the router’s white light is blinking. This means that the device’s LED lights are malfunctioning and misleading.
Yes, you’re right, these problems don’t seem to be pretty huge. These are common and easily totally solvable problems.
How to fix Verizon Router Blinking white?
Here are the troubleshooting steps to fix the white light issue on a Verizon router:
Reboot the Router
- Turn off the router by unplugging it from the power source.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug the router back into the power source.
- Wait for the router to boot up.
- Check if the solid white light indicates a connection and that everything is working correctly.
Check for Overheating
- If the router feels hot, unplug it from the power source.
- Leave the router disconnected for about 5 minutes to cool down
Power Cycle The Router
If rebooting your router doesn’t work, power cycling it can be a useful solution. This method involves completely disconnecting the router from its power source, which can help eliminate any residual electricity stored in the device.
Follow these steps to power cycle your Verizon router:
- Turn off your router by pressing its power button.
- Wait for 10 seconds before proceeding.
- Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and wait for another 10 seconds.
- Unplug the other end of the power cable from the router.
- Wait for 3-5 minutes to allow the device to completely power down.
- Plug the power cable back into the router first, and then plug the other side of the cable into the wall outlet.
- Once all the steps are complete, turn on your router and give it a few minutes to establish a stable connection.
Restart with The Power Button
If the previous methods have failed to resolve the issue, restarting the router with the power button can be a viable option. This technique involves holding down the power button on your Verizon router to perform a hard reset.
Here’s how to restart your router using the power button:
- Press and hold the power button on your router for 30 seconds.
- Disconnect the power adapter from the router and wait for 30 seconds.
- Plug the power adapter back in and hold down the power button for another 30 seconds.
- Allow enough time for the router to boot up before trying to connect to any device
Power Outage at Verizon
Occasionally, our internet service provider (ISP) may undergo routine maintenance or be afflicted by network issues, which could result in our router either receiving an unreliable, feeble signal or none at all. Inclement weather may exacerbate the problem, leading to the white light blinking on our Verizon router.
While we may not be able to remedy these issues, it is essential to ascertain whether this is the cause of the problem. If so, we must wait for our ISP to rectify the situation, which is typically a brief waiting period. If we determine that Verizon services are operational, we can proceed with the following resolution.
There are several methods to verify whether Verizon is experiencing outages. We can contact their support team, and access their Service Outage page using our account credentials.
There are several websites that you can visit in order to learn if there is a power outage at Verizon. Websites such as DownDetector.com are pretty good sources.
Check and Clean Cables
Loose, dirty or damaged cables can hinder the proper functioning of your router, leading to a blinking white light.
To fix this, check all cables and ports for damage or dirt. Use a soft cloth to wipe any dust off the ports and gently reconnect the cables. Ensure they are well connected before turning on your router and testing the connection.
If you have a spare cable at home or can borrow one from a neighbor or friend, try swapping it to see if it resolves the issue. Also, consider plugging your router directly into a wall outlet instead of using a surge protector.
Check for Software Updates
Outdated firmware can cause a blinking white light on your Verizon router. To fix this, log in to your router’s Admin Web GUI and navigate to System Settings. Click “Check for Software Update” to determine if there’s a new firmware version available.
Let’s look at this article that shows us how to open the admin page on Verizon 5G internet
If an update is available, download and install it. After installation, restart your router and check if the blinking white light is gone, indicating the booting process is complete.
Factory Reset Verizon router:
If you’ve gone through all the troubleshooting steps mentioned earlier and the white light on your Verizon router still keeps blinking, then the final resort is to reset the router to its factory settings. This will erase all custom settings, so it’s important to back up any important data before proceeding.
There are two methods to reset your router to its factory settings. The first method involves accessing the administrative page of the router and going to the advanced settings.
From there, you can click on Utilities, then Save & Restore, and finally click on Factory Default followed by Restore Configuration.
The second, simpler method involves using the reset button on the router. To do this, you’ll need to find a paperclip or any similar object and press and hold the reset button at the back of the router for about 10-15 seconds. After a few minutes, your router should reboot and restore your connection.
Once the router has been reset, you can try connecting to the internet again. It’s worth noting that resetting to factory settings should only be done as a last resort, as it will erase all custom settings and configurations.
Why is my Verizon FiOS box blinking?
If your Verizon FiOS set-top box is blinking, it may be because a software upgrade is pending. To resolve this, first, unplug the set-top box from the power supply and turn it off. Once you are satisfied with the connections, restart the router, turn on the set-top box, and reattach the coax to the box. This should stop the blinking.
How do I reset my Verizon FiOS white router?
To reset a Verizon FiOS router, locate the reset button at the back of the device, then press and hold it for a minimum of 15 seconds. Allow a few minutes for the router to reset fully, and then turn it back on. After resetting, the router will return to its original factory settings.
What do the lights on my Verizon router mean?
Verizon routers have various lights that indicate different things. A white light indicates normal operation, a slow-blinking blue light indicates pairing mode, and a solid blue light means pairing was successful.