Oculus Quest is a one of a kind VR headset with its wholesome specs, cool design, huge inventory of games and not to mention easy to use features. When my nephew was begging my sister to get one of these headsets for him, I couldn’t blame him. Oculus Quest 2 is at the top of its game right now.
If you have one at your disposal your mind just might wonder how to connect laptop to oculus quest 2? You have two options here one is a wired (USB Type C cable) method and the other is the non wired one ( Oculus Link Cable). But in both cases, you need to have the Oculus app. Now without going round and round let me tell you how you can connect your laptop with the headset.
Install Oculus App
Oculus app helps your VR headset to connect to your laptop. So, before you begin with either method, you must first install this software on your Laptop. For that follow these steps :
- Go to oculus.com/setup.
- There you will see two separate options. One is for rift S and the other for Oculus Link.
- Now, Click on the “Download Quest 2 PC app” link. And once the downloading is done, install it on your laptop.
Note: Meta advises Rift or Oculus users to go for windows 10.
For Oculus Quest 2 to work properly on your laptop, you need to have these configurations in your laptop:
Processor: Ryzen 5 1500X or greater and
Memory: 8GB or higher RAM.
GPU or Graphics: Nvidia GPUs from the 970-series and higher or AMD 400-series and higher GPUS.
Cable: Type-C USB
How to Connect Laptop to Oculus Quest 2
As we have said before there are two ways you can connect your Oculus Quest 2 with your laptop.
This is perhaps one of the easiest methods. The advantage here is that the process is quite easy (obviously) and there is no change of link breakage. The downside is you won’t be able to go far from your PC.
For these methods to work, you will need a Type- C USB cable. Any would work here. But if you want to use Type-C to Type-A cable, you will need a specific cable only sold by META.
Now that’s out of the way let’s find out how to connect laptop to Oculus Quest 2 using a wired system.
- First, go to the Oculus app and launch it.
- There you will get different headset options. Select Quest 2 from there.
- Now, Connect your USB 3 cable to a USB 3.0 port, and then connect the other end to your headset.
- A message appears in VR alerting you to Enable data access. Choose Deny. If you unintentionally ‘Allow’ in response, you must unplug and again re-connect your USB cable to the headset.
- When commanded to Allow Oculus Link, choose Enable to start remote rendering with Oculus Link.
- After that, press the Continue button in the Oculus app. On the following screen, you can either check your cable connection or press Continue.
Finally, your Headset is connected and now you can enjoy any virtual reality game.
- If you’re not seeing Add Quest as a device in the PC software, log out and then log back in.
- If you do not see the Allow Link menu on the laptop software, log out and then again log back in.
- If you’re not seeing the enable/Allow Link choice under Settings on the headset, turn it off and restart it.
The wireless method lets you move around as you please. This is very convenient when you play any rps or action game. In this process you need to follow a few extra instructions.
- Connect your laptop and headset to the same wifi network. A 5GHZ network is highly recommended here.
- Now go to the Oculus app on your laptop and from there select add headset.
- From the options select Quest 2 headset and then tap Air link.
- Now put on your headset and then open the quick setting option. ( Hover over to the left side and then tap on the clock option on the side of your navigation bar)
- On the right side, you will see a gear. Icon. Press on that.
- Now the full setting menu will open up. From there press on the experimental box.
- Search for the Air link option and go to it.
- Now, again go to the setting option and tap on the air link box. A new menu will pop up and showcase all the devices that you can connect your headset with.
- Select YOUR laptop’s name.
- A pairing code will appear on your headset and laptop. Double-check to see if both the code matches. Take off your headset for this step.
- Now, put the headset back in and enjoy the game.
A note here is that the VR will mimic what’s happening to your Laptop. So if any notification for other app or battery low notice may disrupt the connection here.
This wraps up our article on how to connect laptop to Oculus Quest 2. Both the wired and wireless process gives you certain advantages. The wired method is quite easy while you don’t get much room for movement.
On the other hand, the wireless method gives you free rein but you need to go a few extra ways to pair up the devices. Choose your preferred method and enjoy the vivid world of virtual reality.